Library services began in Beacon Falls on January 22, 1923 after nineteen people in our 1,600 person town formed the Beacon Falls Library Association. This group gathered donations of books and money and hired Miss Daisy E. Rogers as the town’s first librarian in what was then Center School, our present Town Hall. That first library continued to serve our community until June, 1953 when the school board required the space for classes and the library closed.
Thankfully, that was not the end of library services. Others took up the torch and the present Beacon Falls Public Library was created by an ordinance enacted by the Town of Beacon Falls on April 10, 1957. From 1957-1959 Mrs. Constance Christensen, Mrs. David Thompson and Mrs. Victor Zollo worked to organize the new library space. Since 1959 the library has grown well beyond the 1957 expectations and vision.
See below for some interesting tidbits of historical facts:
- 1959 – Library had 3,000 books.
- 1961 – Library hours increased to 13 hours/week.
- 1990 – Beacon Falls Junior Women’s Club began Preschool Story Time
- 1991 – Friends of Beacon Falls Library formed, library open 16 hours/week, first newsletter, first Summer Reading Program
- 995 – Saturday hours for first time, computerized circulation system & catalog implemented
- 1996 – Programming Librarian hired, library open 34 hrs/week, Connie Christensen Children’s Room renovated
- 1998 – First computer for patron use obtained through grant from the Gates Foundation
- 1999 – First library webpage created
- 2001 – Library now opened 6 days a week
- 2002 – Wireless network and laptops obtained through grant from Katharine Matthies Foundation, Friends of Library sponsor Nutcracker Ballet
- 2006 – 11,151 items in collection, total circulation is 22,443 items, web access to library catalog, 7 public access computers, 197 programs offered
- March 2010 – Beacon Falls Public Library joined Bibliomation.
- 2013/2014 – 18,418 physical items and 914 electronic items owned.
- 2016/2017 – Notary Services are offered by two staff members. 5258 people attended programs.